5 Holiday and New Year Health & Wellness Tips
- Make getting ‘healthier’ your new year resolution, not ‘losing weight’. That way you will have something immediate to look forward to (e.g., one week of healthy eating). In the long run, many clients have lost more weight with this strategy.
- Remember the ground rule, good fat will never make you fat, sugar and white flour will. Fill your plate with salads/greens, sweet potatoes, lean meat, starch and dessert in that order and in descending proportions. Use good quality oils like Avocado, Coconut oil or Olive oil, maybe adding seeds and nuts to your food. When your body is nourished, it will tell you to stop. When your body tells you to stop-Stop!
- Exercise: Don’t wear a Fitbit because everyone tells you it’s important to walk 12,000 steps a day. Exercise could mean different things to different people. Find out what moves you. Many people enjoy dancing, hiking and martial arts as their way to destress and exercise.
- Carry a water bottle with you. Chances are you’re not drinking enough water for your weight. Water helps our body to drain the toxins out. The formula to follow is ‘half of your body weight (lbs.) in Ounces (oz). Eg: If you weight 150 lbs, drink at least 75 oz of water a day.
- Set realistic goals for yourself. Find out what has worked for you in the past and what hasn’t. Do not expect perfection from yourself, get started anyhow and keep walking on that path. Ask for help, offer help to friends who are on a similar journey.